Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Ethel Barrymore Theatre
May 1, 2015

Photo courtesy of
The Curious Incident of the Dog
in the Night-Time
I finally saw The Curious Incident of theDog in the Night-Time.  The experience of the production far exceeded every great comment I’ve heard.  Yes, the technology is amazing, the directing is skillful and daring, and the acting is on point and authentic.  The effectiveness of the concept far exceeds any rave review, high recommendation, or Tony nomination.  The show needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated. 

Part way through the first act I realized that I was observing the play; somewhat detached while still engaged.  I was carefully watching the changing lights and movement of the props.  I was calculating the level of the relationships.  I was not emotionally connected to the characters, nor did the conflict move me or drive me to react.  Yet, when the first act ended and the house lights came up, I was stunned.  I didn’t want to move.  I needed to think through what had just happened.  I realized the depth of my engagement in the show was more intellectual and analytical than it was emotional.  This is the way the main character, Christopher, a fifteen year old with an autistic spectrum condition (exceptionally played by Alex Sharp), experiences his world.  This is the genius of the production.  The technology (set, lights, video, and sound) is brilliantly designed to give you the main character’s perspective.  All the other characters are directed through the lense of his point of view.

Photo courtesy of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Understanding this allowed me to dive into the second act with enthusiasm.  It was a roller coaster ride as Christopher traveled alone on a train from his home with his father to live with his mother in London.  Once out of his comfort zone and routine, his senses became overwhelmed, and so did mine.  I found myself experiencing his journey of solving the murder of his neighbor’s dog with unstoppable resolve.  There was no fear and no emotional frenzy as deep family secrets were uncovered.  Each conflict and obstacle were treated with blind determination that made each conflict and obstacle just another stumbling block to move past. 

I was warned not to leave after the curtain call, and purposefully not told why.  I give you the same advice if you have not seen the show, but with some insight.  There was a mention during the second act that there would be an explanation for a math problem after the curtain call.  When the character of Christopher articulates his solution, it encapsulated the way he sees the world and the way the technology of the show are the workings of his mind.  This section of the show encompasses the journey of the play.

Photo courtesy of
The Curious incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Director Marianne Elliott has created a unique theatrical experience with depth and insight.  The designer team of Bunny Christie (scenic and costume), Paule Constable (lighting) Finn Ross (video), and Ian Dickinson (sound) have created the inner workings of the mind of a person on the autism spectrum.  You will love Alex Sharp as Christopher.  He is endearing and genuine.  And nothing I or anyone else says can match the experience of this production.  See it through the eye of Christopher yourself.  Take the journey.

Domenick Danza

No comments:

Post a Comment