Saturday, February 20, 2016

Blackbird

Blackbird
Belasco Theatre
February 17, 2016

Photo courtesy of Blackbird
I wanted to see Blackbird when I first received an advertisement in the mail.  It is starring Jeff Daniels and Michelle Williams.  When I took my seat at the theatre and chatted with the person next to me, I realized that I knew nothing about the play or the playwright, David Harrower.  My expectations were high because of the stars, so I allowed myself to experience the unknown.  The writing is bold, suspenseful, and emotionally engaging.  The play is riveting and jaw-dropping. 

Photo courtesy of Blackbird
Jeff Daniel’s character is visited by Michelle Williams’ character at his workplace at the end of a long day.  Their history has caused him great agitation.  After about twenty minutes it is revealed.  He gains some sense of composure, which makes her nervous.  The back and forth of power continues until they each have moments of revelation and brutal honesty in two intense and superbly delivered monologues where they face their truths and fears.  The questions remain: Which is truth and which is fear?  Who is the predator and who is the prey?

Joe Montello brilliantly directs this skillfully crafted, intricate play.  Michelle Williams amazingly creates a quirky, concise, bold, and fragile character.  Jeff Daniels commands the stage with frailties and determination.  Each character gains control at different times during the performance, revealing the depth of their complexities.  The set, designed by Scott Pask, and lighting, by Brian MacDevitt, is stark, raw, and realistic… and just right.

Presently in previews, Blackbird opens on March 10 and runs for only seventeen weeks.  Get a ticket immediately!  I recommend going into the theatre not knowing the details and circumstances of the plot.  The experience will shock and enthrall you! 


Domenick Danza

1 comment:

  1. I knew this play was about sexual abuse, but I did not know any details. The production is bold and definitely riveting. I'm glad you suggested it.

    ReplyDelete